The GST Council recently approved single monthly return with an intent to simplified and encourage the compliance and introduced two new forms of GST Sahaj and Sugam
Salient feature of new GST Return Filing process is summarised as below :
- Under the new regime, persons having GST registration and a turnover of less than Rs.5 crores (Called as Small Tax Payer) would be provided with an option to file quarterly GST return instead of monthly GST return.
- Monthly Payment with Quarterly GST Return introduced for Small Tax Payers (whose turnover is below Rs.5 Crore)
- Other Tax Payers need to file Simple One Page GST Monthly Return with Monthly Payment.
- Person with NIL liability can file their return by simply sending SMS
- Sahaj GST return can be filed by small taxpayers who have opted for quarterly GST return filing and only have B2C transactions.
- Sugam GST return can be filed by small taxpayers having both B2B and B2C supplies. If a small taxpayer only has B2B supplies, then they must file monthly GST return
- A uni-directional system of uploading details of invoices by the supplier is introduced. Recipients will get credit on the basis of these invoices.
- In this new regime, small taxpayers would have the facility to upload invoices continuously. Uploaded invoices would be visible to the recipient immediately. After the 10th of the following month, the amount of GST paid would be made available as input tax credit to the recipient.
- Facility to rectify and amend the details of previous return filed would be available on quarterly basis while filing GSTR 1
- GSTR 3B is likely to discontinue and simplistic Form GST PMT will be implemented for payment of taxes
The above changes and introduction under New GST Sahaj and Sugam filing will benefit small taxpayers, who accounts for over 90% of the Total GST Filers in the country. It will also reduce the cost of compliance and encourage streamline GST Input and Output facilitations.